Activities & Events
Here’s our top tips to help you mark this International Women’s Day on Thursday, 8th March:
- Organise a clothing collection or perfume collection the week before International Women’s Day and a fundraising raffle on the day. Ask employees to donate towards the raffle. Faff-free and effective, find your promotional materials here and upcycle your way to helping Irish women excel, empower, believe.
- Donate a percentage of your company’s earnings on the day (or for the month of March).
- A book club on International Women’s Day. Choose a book with strong female characters or check out Our Shared Shelf for some great suggestions on books with feminist themes.
- A seminar with keynote speeches by women in your industry.
- A coffee morning or evening social and invite employees to bake something to sell.
- Exercise! Organise a lunchtime power walk with your colleagues or have an office pilates / yoga / aerobics session.
- A networking event for women in your workplace.
- A panel discussion to address particular challenges women face in your industry.
- A TED Talk screening and discussion. For inspiration, check out this blog from TED “Ten talks by women that everyone should watch”.
This year, we’ve developed a range of resources for you to promote your fundraiser or clothing drive including:
- Generic event poster (PDF)
- Clothing drive poster (PDF / Editable)
- Event poster (PDF / Editable)
- How to organise a clothing collection (PDF)
- Event and activity ideas (PDF)
Putting the ‘Fun’ into Fundraising
If you’re feeling slightly more adventurous this IWD, we have some ideas to get you into the celebratory spirit, enhance employee morale and ensure a day of inclusivity, awareness and fun-draising.
- A movie screening featuring themes of female empowerment or strong female leads excelling in the workplace. The list is endless but suggestions include: Erin Brockovich; The Iron Lady; Working Girl; Frieda; Legally Blonde; Million Dollar Baby; Suffragette.
- Take your movie screening one step further and create an unforgettable event by making it themed! Brush off those shoulder pads for a Working Girl lunch or see who looks most at home wearing their boxing gloves for an inclusive and fun way to celebrate IWD.
- A ‘Mad Men’ lunch – what better way to celebrate IWD than channeling your inner Peggy, Don, or Joan and recreating the hit show that charts the rise of women in the workplace.
- A sponsored siesta. Become the world’s most popular employer and raise awareness about the gender pay gap by organising a sponsored nap of 1.12 hours on 8th March – the amount of time women work for free per day, in comparison to their male counterparts.
- Why not celebrate IWD with a table quiz focused on Irish women across all sectors – download the quiz below!